Monday, 14 January 2008

I dont claim any validity on this post, this is a pure email forward but it sure is funny!

The UK's top 10 most ridiculous British laws were listed as:

· 1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

· 2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)

· 3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

· 4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)

· 5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

· 6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)

· 7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

· 8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

· 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

· 10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Other bizarre foreign laws voted by those polled included:

· In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk (9%)

· In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

· A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror (7%)

· In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

· It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

· In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed (6%)

· Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth (6%)

· In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

· In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon (4%)

18 Comments:

  1. Ashu said...
    Hey John,

    Had a 4 hr stay in Heathrow few days back en route to US :)
    John F said...
    I hope our infamous Heathrow staff didnt hassel you much! It would have been great to meet up, I live quiet close to Heathrow!
    Mez said...
    Look at the name i have given u in my blogroll.
    Rashi said...
    nice facts...

    well, i can name u my fav. critic..its been time but I liked the thoughts that u shared while commenting on my 2nd to recent post..

    Give me more oppurtunities to express more...prove more...:)
    Ashu said...
    Naaaah John, they were good. But the costs of everything on the airport shops is mind gobbling.......

    and fight it out with mez for the crazy names she s handing over to us
    John F said...
    lol! So I should call you mez now?

    I like the name that u chose for me, surrounds me with this mysterious enigma...me likey!

    @Rashi my comments like my musings are usually incoherent mumblings to myself. Thanks very much for paying attention to them! I shall definitely visit you again.

    Ashu, I know UK is bloody expensive and trust me in here if we are not discussing the weather we are crying over the falling sterling, rising prices, dropping economy etc. etc. And I trid looking at what names Mez has given you but couldnt make out. What is it?
    Mez said...
    Yah call me Mez now..am writing on my new blog now.
    Mirage said...
    Truly bizarre!!
    Jillian said...
    Wow... it's amazing what laws still exist on the books.

    I read somewhere (don't ask me where) that in California (where I'm from) it's illegal to have an empty wallet. You must have at least 5 dollars on your person or else you can be arrested for "vagrancy".

    Don't know how true it is, but the idea has always amused me.

    Nice blog you got here. *wave* I'll make it a point to return!

    -Jillian.
    Mirage said...
    You have been tagged.
    indicaspecies said...
    Ridiculous indeed!
    Who's gonna ensure these laws are enforced? It's not easy at all!!
    Scarlett said...
    Nice post there.. some of them were seriously funny.. had a real nice laugh.. n how u doin?? i know its been a seriously long time :)..
    mayz said...
    lol...u cant be serious...knew abt d swiss one thou...but man really bizzare!!!
    Candylady said...
    Hehehe very funny!
    In India : Its very essential for your neighbouring aunt to approve of your trip to Goa with your friends, to get the approval from your parents.
    PS: 'neighbour' means people living in a five house radius from yours.
    One of the best enforced laws of this kind till date..

    Its as stupid as no one copying from their own textbooks in an open book exam cuz "If you copy you will die!!" was written on the blackboard!
    Mez said...
    The way u went missin i thought someone has made u the prisoner of war.lol.grt to have u back.

    Cmon be a sport and dedciate some mssg to someone.
    Ekta said...
    hahahah!
    Hilarious!!!
    ashu said...
    where r u john ?
    John F said...
    Right here Ashu, wait 5 more minutes and I would unveil something!

    5 more minutes!

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online